09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Repost - Attalla


I learned something, thanks to Rita at Cashjockey's Photos and wanted to update this post.

Everyone but me probably already knew this, but for anyone who did not, and is interested in vintage anything and/or history, will like this.

This guy on the sign that I casually and ignorantly referred to as "the stick figure" is a celebrity.

He is Reddy Kilowatt and has his own dot org.

I'll let you do your own Googling for more info, but Wikipedia says that 


"Reddy was created at the Alabama Power Company by Ashton B. Collins, Sr., and debuted March 11, 1926. He was subsequently licensed by some 300 electrical companies in the U.S. and abroad looking to sell homes on using the relatively new technology."




Reddy, please accept my apology and Rita, thanks so much for the fun information!


Just a random post from when I was in Attalla, Alabama for the US 11 Yard Sale in May.

The stick figure is obviously enjoying his electrocution.


And I liked this old building facade.

14 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i like that old facade tooooo

Pamela Gordon said...

That is a great old sign!

Bev said...

That is a beautiful building!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I like the old building too. We used to have a sign like that for the electric company here years ago. I don't remember the name of the company

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Amy. Thanks for your visit. This old building facade is just outstanding. Love it. Cool sign too.

Kathy said...

I do like these old buildings. There are many like this one here where I live. I find it interesting that at some point along the way someone decided to cover up that beautiful red brick with some kind of plaster. (I have even found red brick streets which have been paved over!) But if the building (or the street) lasts long enough, the bricks win and invariably stick their pretty little faces out again.

Brian King said...

Nice shots, Amy! I like those neon signs. We have a few around town. There are a few old buildings like that, too.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Love your shots around the town!

Roan said...

I like the look of old buildings. They have character. Nice perspective.

Kranky Granny said...

Your stick figure actually has a name. His name is Ready Kilowatt and he use to be the mascot for the electric co-ops across the country. There was a huge neon figure of Ready Kilowatt on top of a building beside highway seventy in St. Charles, Missouri for almost half a century and a tremendous outpouring of support from the public to save him when it was going to be torn down to widen the highway. But, alas Ready is now just history.

Kranky Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MadSnapper said...

I remember Reddy from my child hood.

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

I worked for our power company in the 1970s -early 80s. I think I even have a lapel pin of him. What an absolutely fabulous sign, and I too love that old building, lots of charm.

Unknown said...

How cool. I was not one of the ones who are in the know. lol