09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Monday, July 16, 2012

Ft. Payne, Alabama



In May 2012, I went to one of those yard sales that runs all along a highway.
It was the first time I had been in this area for other than just driving through.
I started in Attalla, Alabama and traveled north on US 11

These shots are from Ft. Payne, Alabama which is known for several things.

Ft. Payne was one of the locations where forced evacuation of Cherokee Indians took place in 1838 as part of the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

Each year on a Saturday, tens of thousands of motorcyclists travel a designated route in remembrance of the original "Trail of Tears".  It runs through my town and the sound of thundering cycles can be heard much of that day.

Links:
(I don't always like Wikipedia since the info is not always complete/accurate/validated)


Ft. Payne is home of the country band, "Alabama".
Above is one of the tributes to them in the town.  I saw a museum also.




This area of Alabama is also known as the sock capital of the world due to
hosiery manufacturing in earlier years.
Above is an old hosiery manufacturing mill.


And I always notice the old theaters.
Not sure what's going on with the shampoo special.  Maybe the salon is inside the theater.


Other attractions in this area include Desoto State Park, Little River Canyon, and Buck's Pocket State Park

If you are in the area check out what Ft. Payne has to offer.

Links:





10 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

LOVE that old hosiery factory! So nice to learn new things about our world. Thanks for sharing. :)

Meghan said...

Did you make it up to Little River Canyon to see the falls? It is definitely worth the drive!
I wish they still made socks here. It is hard to find anything that isn't made in China anymore.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I like the old hosiery factory. No matter where you go you can find interesting history if you look for it.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Our little town (Crossville, TN) is part of the big 127 Yard Sale in August.... Tons of people around then (usually the first week of August)....

We love Fort Payne --and that area. We've stayed in Fort Payne, and we've also stayed at Desoto... Love to hike there and see all of the waterfalls... We also love the Little River Canyon area.... Gorgeous!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Brian King said...

That old factory building is fantastic! I enjoy seeing those old places. They have a lot of character that is lacking in today's buildings.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a neat old factory- now I would love to see the inside of that.

Judy said...

What a neat place to visit. I just love old buildings with history.

Debbie said...

love that old factory and the band alabama.....great teen memories associated with those songs!!

Kranky Granny said...

Amy. You are one of my favorite tour guides and this was another winner. Thanks for showing me parts of Alabama I never have time to visit.

Roan said...

I like seeing the old buildings and I always pay attention to the theaters, too. This one is especially well kept.